Invisible in the canalStarkey Soundlens range, which is specialised in helping its users hear high frequency sounds and is equipped with useful features such as an advanced noise reduction and speech recognition system, as well as effective feedback suppression. However, such hearing aid types support mild to moderate hearing loss and do not fit in every ear canal. Other challenges include:
- difficult manipulation of functions due to the tiny size
- option for manual volume control is rarely available
- not suitable for children due to growth of the ear canal
- greater chance of feedback as the speaker and microphone are very close to each other
- can be easily damaged by moisture and earwax
- a ‘blocked-up’ sensation for some users
- not suitable for people with frequent ear infections
- short battery life
Completely in the canalSiemens Eclipse, for example, is custom built and offers some impressive characteristics:
- The latest BestSound Technology that ensures a clear and natural sound
- A soft dome that is designed to feel as natural and comfortable as possible
- A trench vent that eliminates the occlusion effect and helps ventilate the eardrum
In the canalPhonak Virto, whose main characteristics are:
- Phonak’s most advanced and popular QUEST chipset
- Some of Phonak’s best features (availability depends on the chosen level of technology) - Speech In Wind, StereoZoom, ZoomControl, SoundFlow, SoundRecover, Real Ear Sound, WhistleBlock, SoundRelax, etc.
Half-shellThe half-shell hearing aid is a custom made hearing aid smaller than full shell ITE hearing aids as the name suggests. It sits in the lower part of the bowl shaped area of the outer ear. This type of hearing aid is suitable for mild to moderate hearing loss. It’s slightly bigger size allows easier manipulation and control and fits most ears. Still, it is susceptible to earwax and moisture and can easily be damaged by either. Its battery life is shorter than that of behind the ear hearing aids and in the ear hearing aids.
About Hearing DirectWe are one of the world's leading hearing aid specialists, offering a wide range of affordable products, as well as information resources to help improve the quality of life for the hard of hearing. We sell:
- Hearing aids,
- Hearing aid batteries,
- Hearing aid accessories such as earplugs,
- and amplified devices such as super loud alarm clocks and amplified phones.