In this blog post, we explore some of the natural ways in which we can prevent hearing loss and explain if hearing impairments can be improved naturally.
Can my hearing loss improve naturally?Millions of people all over the world are affected by hearing loss, including 37 million Americans. While the condition is mainly related to the natural ageing process, hearing loss should be treated carefully. However, natural remedies may be useful at maintaining healthy hearing rather than curing hearing loss. It is true that in the majority of cases hearing impairment is connected to age and the deterioration of the auditory nerves. However, that does not mean that treatment is not possible, on the contrary, it should be sought. We supply a number of items to help prevent hearing loss such as ear plugs, as well as amplified products including wireless TV listeners, to help improve your hearing.
Different types of hearing lossDepending on the type of hearing loss – conductive or sensorineural, it may be reversible. Conductive hearing loss may result from an earwax build-up, ear infections, inflammation, medicines, injuries or malformations. If some of these conditions cause your hearing impairment, then there are various medical treatments available such as antibiotics, surgery, earwax removal, etc.. If you suffer from sensorineural hearing loss, that means that the tiny hairs in your inner ear are irreversibly damaged and as they cannot regenerate the condition will remain permanent. Most often, this type of hearing impairment occurs with increasing age and the detrimental effects of the free radicals in the body formed when burning carbohydrates. By definition, a free radical is a molecule that due to its instability often damages any cell it interacts with. It also changes DNA and thus “errors” in the body functions occur. These may include problems with blood circulation and supply to various organs, including the inner ear. For such conditions, hearing aids are recommended along with other types of assistive listening devices. While hearing aids do not cure or restore normal hearing, they amplify sounds so that the wearer can communicate more easily and independently.
Natural restoration of hearing lossNatural restoration of hearing loss is highly unlikely, especially in the case of sensorineural hearing loss. There is some evidence that a number of home remedies have a healing or at least aiding effect on hearing. Some of the most common include Ginkgo biloba, garlic, marjoram (all known to improve blood circulation), apple vinegar (supplies the needed zinc, magnesium, potassium and manganese) and olive oil (used for ear infections). However, many natural treatments tend towards to preserving existing hearing rather than curing hearing loss. Popular methods for maintaining or improving hearing are:
- Avoid noise: Noise is one of the main reasons for acquired hearing impairment. Extensive listening to loud music or machinery will be detrimental to your hearing. That is why you should be careful with loud sounds and always use hearing protection in noisy environments.
- Remove earwax: Earwax accumulation may harden and cause temporary hearing loss. You should be careful when trying to remove earwax and you should probably seek assistance from a specialist.
- Enrich your diet: It is important that your daily diet has all the needed vitamins, antioxidants and supplements that help blood circulation and fight free radicals.
- Do hearing exercises: Sound source location and noise filtering are two of the main problems when hearing loss occurs. You should train your ears in multiple sound source and noise situations so they learn to focus on the sounds that you want to hear.
About Hearing DirectWe are one of the world's leading hearing aid specialists. HearingDirect offers a wide range of affordable products, and information resources to help improve the quality of life for the hard of hearing. We sell:
- Hearing aids,
- Accessories such as earplugs,
- and amplified devices such as super loud alarm clocks and amplified phones.